Thursday, March 17, 2011

Tales of The Unavoidable

   He's a nice, generous, hard-working, loving provider for his family. He worked hard and was always their for his family. However, life had different plans for him and it proves that karma does not exist. I am speaking about my cousin who recently had a stroke. Before he had a stroke, he had skin cancer that spread rapidly. For years he was under heavy treatment and surveillance. When I think about this, I can't believe it happened to him. His whole life he worked hard and helped out many people. Even during his stage of treatment he lent my brother a helping hand. My cousin is a lawyer and my brother got a DUI over a year ago. When these things happen of course we want to fight the system and avoid the worst possible penalties. I felt bad for both of them (then again my brother was double the limit of the legal BAC, so he deserved it). I mostly felt bad for my cousin because he wasn't going to say no in defending my brother. At this time, the radiation he was exposed to caused him to lose a lot of feeling in one side of his face. My dad rounded up a portable speaker system and microphone to project his voice since his speech wash difficult to decipher. God bless his soul, he worked hard and did his best to prevent the worst case scenario for my brother. That's the kind of person he is.

   He has a wife and two kids to provide for. The ages of the children . . . 4 and 7. The cancer has went into remission several times but came back in tumors in his intestine in January. The hospital quickly performed the surgery to get rid of the tumors. During the recovery, he had a stroke. I can't say he was lucky since all of this happened, but at least he was already in the hospital when this happened so time could not worsen the situation. Imagine these kids seeing their father in this state of incapacitation. It really just kills me to see him like that and the kids to see that as well. When I went to visit him, his speech was not present. The only communication available was the look of embarrassment and disgust in his eyes. I could tell he was grateful for everyone to always keep him company, but he didn't want pity, or sympathy. He didn't want people to go out of their way to make him feel better. He wished this had never happened as I'm sure everyone who has had a stroke feels. I wish I could do something, but what can anyone do besides the doctors?

   In the most recent news of his condition, the doctors discovered that the cancer is gone, but will have to stay like that for the next 14 months to declare him 100% cancer free. I just pray he recovers and that the cancer stays away for good. You're in my prayers and I hope to see you well soon, cousin.

No comments:

Post a Comment