Friday, March 4, 2011

Do something with yourself

   I have no sympathy for some people. The majority of applicants on welfare are just taking advantage of the rest of us. Anyone who doesn't have a job (when they could have SOMETHING if they tried) is taking advantage of someone. It could be a friend, relative, parents or the government. If its the government then it is now affecting me somehow. Now that that government money is being applied to welfare maybe certain taxes are raised? I know that welfare and unemployment are needed so I'm not saying to get rid if these programs altogether, but I'm sure there are many people taking advantage of it.

   I have experienced an almost mini community welfare program. I was in a band as I've mentioned many times. There were three of us and we added a fourth member about four years ago. I actually originally opposed to even trying him out. I was overruled and convinced he was not lazy and is now dedicated. Boy was I right. The s**t he put us through and especially our Singer was nothing short metaphorical rape. The first year he has a good paying job that was only supposed to last a year (construction). He decided to buy an Audi. Did I mention he dropped out of high school too? He was obviously making payments and soon the job ended. He was spoiled being paid thirty dollars an hour, so once this job ended he refused to take any less because he's an idiot. He was doing a job many others could do and from what I've heard he's a lazy worker. Anyway, his job ended, he couldn't make the car payments so it was repossessed. He still owed money even after that.

   How did this affect the band? You have to lose money to make money, it's called investing in yourself. We decided that each of us would deposit $50 a week into our band fund for traveling, promotion and other expenses. He contributed for about the first year, but quickly ran dry. He was still waiting for that next great paying job even without having a means of transportation. We told him to get ANY job, its better than not making ANY money at all. He disagreed, go figure. Our singers dad even offered him add jobs around his house which he accepted, but not without complaints of what he had to do. For several weeks my Singer's family would let him sleep there, feed him and pay him to work. Sounds great right? Nope. Apparently $10 an hour wasn't enough to do menial chores around their house.

   We've become spoiled, America. We get what we want, when we want it. This went on for four years. I left a year ago and he was kicked out a few months ago. I never felt sorry for him because he thought he had some sense of entitlement to not work at the local shop rite. It's called paying your dues. I don't care who you are, if you can move around and have some high school education YOU CAN GET A JOB so hop to it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment