Saturday, February 26, 2011

My overbearing parents

As nice as I am, I have my limits. I believe in tact and holding back unnecessary comments. If I see somebody is happy with a situation that I deem . . . less than adequate, I keep my mouth shut because it makes them happy. When I was in my band, I was at practice every weekday after work. My days started at 6 am and ended at about 10 pm. I barely got a break and my parents understood. What I mean by their understanding, is that they barely saw me, but understood it's what I had to do. Although, once I quit to pursue a more secure future, they thought that I'd be home most of the time. Sadly they did not realize that I'm 24 years old and can't spend my free time with my parents. Yes, that's right, I do not enjoy spending time with my family. My mom is a crazy Christian whose interests range from God to Jesus. Okay, I'll give her credit, she can watch Seinfeld if the episode doesn't use the term 'sex' more than once and enjoy it. Other than that, we have absolutely nothing to talk about. I enjoy love, sex, drinking and crude comments that border on deadly. If she knew the literature I commonly read, she'd probably disown me as a son. The truth, I wouldn't really mind all that much because then I'd be able to live my life guilt free.

          As I was previously saying, once I quit the band, I actually spent more time with my girlfriend. More time as in, everyday. Go ahead, think what you want, but I enjoyed it. Still kind of enjoy it but after a year things gets different and I haven't moved on from how we were in the beginning. Once they realized what I was doing, they constantly nagged me on coming home to see them. I did at least once a week, but that wasn't good enough. If that wasn't good enough, then I presumed nothing would ever be good enough. I'd go weeks without seeing them and they would always call. My dad is good friends with my best friend's dad so through them I would hear how disappointing I was. When I would see them, they would interrogate me about why I was never home, did I not like them? What were they doing wrong? It was like the clingy girlfriend that you don't want to be clingy. Eventually, I was able to not care. After a year, they don't say much, but I am also home more often due to the lack of love currently in my relationship. But, what does the future hold? I'm not sure and I worry everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment